A habit replaces an excuse.
Deciding to embark on a weight loss program can be daunting, but to enjoy long-term success we can’t continue doing what we have done in the past as it simply hasn’t been working.
As a result of developing healthy habits that are automatic and uncontrolled, you will find that you require less over-thinking and be less inclined to procrastinate.
It does require repetition and discipline to build muscle memory and embed these new healthy habits into your daily routines so that you don’t have to rely on willpower or motivation.
Your brain will thank you as you add small easy-to-do healthy habits to your daily routine, reducing stress and decision fatigue.
We’d love to share with you some of our top healthy weight loss habits that only take 2 minutes or less to do:
- Complete your Daily Planner or a food journal – keeps you on track.
- Drink a glass of water on waking and before going to bed, between each meal with a snack, and at every meal.
- Fill drink bottles totalling 2 litres each morning and leave in car, bag and at your desk – wherever you spend most of your day.
- While you are waiting for the kettle to boil – do planks, push-ups, stretches.
- Make sure to grab a bar or protein powder serve in a shake bottle so you have a snack with you and never get caught out during the day.
- While cleaning your teeth, do calf raises or squats.
- Always eat before you go to the supermarket.
- Always take the time to do up a shopping list and use it.
- Have a salad or bowl of soup before a meal. Reduces hunger and your “fullness feeling” kicks in earlier.
- When you lose 5 kilos, buy a pair of 2.5kgs dumbells. Use them when you go walking or stair climbing to remind you of how far you have come.
- Leave your washing basket on the floor to get some extra squats in.
- If you work sitting down, set your alarm every hour and get up and do 2 minutes of exercise: climb stairs, jumping jacks, neck stretches, toe touches.
- Set your table with cutlery, water jug and glasses. Make eating pleasurable.
- Save all your catch-up calls and go for “walk and talk”.
- Feeling stressed or neck and shoulders tight? Deep breathing through your nose: 4 second inhale and 8 second exhale. Complete 10 times.
- Write down 3 things you are grateful for at the end of each day.
- If you’re a morning person, complete 16 on awakening.
- Weigh yourself once a week or measure your waist – great motivation.
- Take an extra 2 minutes to eat your meals, chew slowly and savour each mouthful.
- Make your bed on arising, this sets you up for achievement throughout the day.
- Pack all leftover food after the evening meal into glass containers for tomorrow’s breakfast or lunch.
- Read 2 pages of a book before going to bed, to help your sleep.
- Park your car at the back of the parking station and get extra steps in.
- Always use stairs, not the elevator.
Enjoy one of our favourite recipes that only takes 2 minutes to make:
Holly’s 2-minute bun recipe
- Brush a mug with oil. Mix 3 Tbsp almond meal and 1/2 tsp baking powder in small bowl. Add 1 tsp oil and 1 egg, and mix well. For options add chopped chives, LSA or other seeds.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared mug, and microwave on high for 1 minute 40 seconds. Microwaves vary so check that the bun is cooked through.
- Tip mug upside down and bun will drop out.
- Slice down the middle and share with a friend. Enjoy plain or toasted.
If you concentrate on the habits that enhance your life, help you enjoy better sleep, make the time to exercise and meet friends, and do the things that bring you joy – combine these with an eating plan that works best for your body – then success is yours.
If you’d like some extra help to embed some new healthy habits, fill out your details below and we’ll be in touch.