3-4 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts
3/4 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning chicken
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
¼ cauliflower, riced in food processor
- To make the pesto: Wash and spin the basil leaves, and place in a food processor with the sliced garlic. Process until finely chopped, adding oil through the feed tube as you process.
- Add pine nuts, parmesan, and lemon juice and process 1-2 minutes more, until the pesto is mostly pureed and well mixed. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground black pepper and pulse a few times more. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Cut the chicken lengthwise into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Grease a baking dish, then spread 1/4 cup pesto over the bottom of the dish. Lay chicken strips over the pesto, then spread 1/4 cup more basil pesto over the chicken.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and bake for 25-30 minutes, just until chicken is barely firm and cooked through.
- Remove foil and sprinkle chicken with mozzarella, and return to the oven uncovered for 5 minutes more, just until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, cook the cauliflower ‘rice’ in the microwave for 6-8 minutes. Serve the ‘rice’ with the chicken and juices from the baking dish.