This one-pot dish is a great way to serve chicken breast with vegies. It tastes good, is filling, and comes close to the definition of ‘comfort food’.
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 (125g) chicken breasts
to taste cracked black pepper
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 ½ cups diced butternut pumpkin
2 ½ cups chicken stock
2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage (1 Tbsp dried sage)
8 walnut halves, crushed
to garnish extra sage
- Heat a large pan with a close fitting lid over moderate heat and add the oil.
- Season the chicken with the pepper, and place in the pan without overcrowding.
- Add the onion, carrot and pumpkin, and cook until tender.
- Add half the stock and simmer over low heat, with the pan lid askew, adding more stock as needed. Do not overcook the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish. Add sage to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the vegetables around the chicken and pour the sauce over the top. Garnish with the extra sage and walnuts.