Suits all phases – Serves 6
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1kg broccoli, florets and stems, chopped
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1/3 cup pine nuts
Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until soft.
- Add broccoli, stock and 2 cups water to pan. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan over medium heat. Dry-fry pine nuts, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Keep a close eye on these as they can burn quickly. Add to soup.
- Using a food processor or blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return soup to pan. Stir over low heat for 8 minutes or until warmed through. Ladle into bowls and serve.