Watching your weight doesn’t mean you have to miss out on some family favourites, especially when they’re as healthy and delicious as this pizza base. Serves 2-3
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped and ‘riced’ in food processor
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup grated cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place the ‘riced’ cauliflower in an uncovered bowl and cook in the microwave for 8 minutes.
- Combine the cooked cauliflower with all the remaining ingredients to form a ‘dough’. Spread the ‘dough’ out evenly over the baking sheet and use your hands to press it out until it’s about 1/2 cm thick. Alternatively, separate the ‘dough’ into 2 or 3 smaller portions to make the pizza base. The smaller portions actually work better.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes for the larger base, or 15-20 minutes for the smaller bases, or until the crust is golden, crispy on the edges and cooked through the middle.
- Remove the base/s from the oven. Top with your favourite toppings.
- Grill the pizza for 5 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted.
- Allow the pizza to cool for 2-3 minutes then cut and serve immediately.
- Suggested toppings: roasted tomato puree, sliced olives, buffalo mozzarella or bocconcini, fresh basil, shredded cheese