This delicious recipe uses your choice of marsala, red wine or chicken stock, with each giving a different flavour. Go with whatever you’ve got available. Serves 4
4 chicken breasts, flattened to about 1 cm thick
to taste, sea salt and black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 rashers bacon, cut into 2cm pieces
250g button mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp tomato paste
1 ½ cups marsala or red wine or chicken stock
1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp butter, divided
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 90° C and warm a large plate for the chicken.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Place the chicken on the warmed plate in the oven.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium-low and cook the bacon until crisp but not burned. Set bacon aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook for about 8 minutes over medium-high heat, until any liquid from the mushrooms has completely evaporated.
- Return the bacon to the skillet, along with the garlic and tomato paste and cook for one minute.
- Add the marsala or red wine or stock, bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes or until the liquid has reduced to about 1 ¼ cups.
- Take the skillet off the heat, add the lemon juice and whisk in the butter, one Tbsp at a time. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the marsala sauce over the chicken and serve with steamed greens.