This really tasty recipe will be a hit with the kids: the cinnamon adds a sweetness that they love. Serves 12
1 ½ kg chicken drumsticks
2 Tbsp butter
½ onion, chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, squashed with the flat of a knife
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
3-4 Tbsp white wine, chicken stock or water
- Place the butter in a large sauté pan over moderate heat. Brown the chicken drumsticks, flipping them carefully with tongs until they are nice and crispy.
- Place chicken in a slow cooker. Add the squashed garlic, scattering it around the chicken.
- Add onions to the sauté pan and cook until translucent. Add spices to the onions and sauté until fragrant. Scrape onion mixture over chicken in the crockpot.
- Pour the chicken stock, white wine or water into the pan and deglaze it, scraping any bits off. Pour over the onion mixture and chicken.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 5-6 hours, checking to be sure that the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Use a slotted spoon or spatula to dig the chicken out carefully; there will be quite a bit of liquid in the bottom of the crockpot and you’ll want to be sure you get the chicken legs out without them falling apart too much.
- Serve with steamed vegies.