This could be a side dish or a topping for steak, but however you use it it’s fabulous. You could even cook some chicken into the mix to make a one-pot meal. Serves 4
2 Tbsp butter
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
250g portobello mushrooms, chopped with tough portion of stems removed
250g button mushrooms, sliced
to taste, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup beef stock
½ cup coconut milk
1 Handful of fresh thyme leaves
2 spring onions, chopped
- Heat a large skillet over a medium heat and add the butter. Stir-in the onions and garlic. Cook until they begin to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until moisture evaporates entirely.
- Add the stock as well and coconut milk and stir well to ensure that the flavours are dispersed evenly.
- Once the mushrooms have simmered for a few minutes, add the thyme leaves, spring onions and adjust the salt and pepper seasoning. Allow to sit on a low heat for a few more minutes so that it thickens.
- Serve with grilled steak and steamed veggies.