Here’s a fresh appetiser that goes down a treat. Why just use cucumber, though? Use the filling in mushrooms or tomatoes, or as a side with breakfast eggs. Makes 16 (as an appetiser)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
250g cooked salmon
1 Tbsp minced shallots
1 Tbsp chopped chives
to taste salt and pepper
1 large cucumber
4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 bunch chives
- Peel strips of skin from the cucumber to make stripes of green and white. Slice into 2cm discs.
- Combine the mayonnaise, paprika and Tabasco in a small bowl and mix well.
- Flake the salmon into bite-sized pieces. Place in a bowl with the shallots, chives, salt and pepper, and gently mix in the spicy mayonnaise. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out half the seeds from each cucumber slice to make a small cup.
- Divide the salmon mix between the cucumber cups, and garnish each with a cherry tomato slice and a couple of chive tops.