What we can learn from Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Any weight loss program will involve two things to change:
- Start eating differently
- Stop eating the things that led you to put on excess weight in the first place
1. Start Eating Differently
At Healthy Inspirations we deal with this straight away. From the day you enrol we tell you exactly:
- what foods to eat (proteins, fats and low carbs) – with a huge selection of fresh unprocessed foods for all main meals, so that you can choose foods that you and your family enjoy
- how much to eat (minimums with proteins and maximums with fats and low carbs)
- when to eat (aiming to reduce your eating window)
- protein snacks to add to satiety and hunger avoidance
We also provide the shopping lists, weekly menu planners and loads of recipes to make it easier to follow 100% straight away.
The truth is that it’s a “hard landing” approach where you start getting results straight away. This is important so that your results reinforce continuation.
We’ve found this is way more successful than the softly-softly approach where we change one meal at a time and you may not see or feel any difference for many months – if you stick to it.
2. Stop Eating The Wrong Foods
This is where EMS comes in. There’s many many reasons we eat the wrong foods. They include:
- Learned food rules from our parents
- Stress at home or work
- That toxic addictive foods are put in front of you everywhere. Have you paid for petrol lately? You’d have to wear blinkers (like they get race horses to wear) to stop you seeing all the crap they want you to buy. Plus the attendant makes some special offer.
- Self medication – just to feel good “Screw it. I deserve it. It’s the only little happiness I can give myself.”
- Hormonal changes that drive the body’s desire for sweet, salty and fatty foods.
- Gut microbiome changes. Did you know that we all have a huge population of gut bacteria that are sending signals to your hormones, feelings and even thoughts to drive cravings and consumption.
- There are people in your life who tempt you with the wrong foods and drinks.
Now there’s an emotional element to the above, that leans heavily on your willpower.
But did you know that willpower is an exhaustible resource? Have you noticed that Mark Zuckerberg (CEO Facebook) typically wears a grey Tshirt most of the time. Why? Because he does not want to add another decision to his day.
Positive Emotions from Motion
This is where exercise, specifically exercise rituals can make a huge difference to your emotions and personal power over the wrong food choices. Plus… it’s pretty difficult to eat any foods while exercising.
And so here’s 9 tips that may help:
- Decide on a daily ritual. Just as brushing your teeth is a daily ritual, try to make some movement a daily ritual. Dog owners already do this and it is a huge benefit to having a dog.
- You might like to set an alarm and go for a short walk at the same time every day – 7 days a week. You can always go back to bed.
- Schedule your workouts at the centre in a diary, so that these are not-negotiable. If you use an electronic diary on your phone, you can set these up as recurring appointments.
- In many countries people go a for a leisurely walk after main meals. For EMS this really helps.
- Try going for a walk during the day. The combination of exercise and sunshine works against SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).
- Try getting some nature into your day. Even digging in the garden can make you feel better.
- Find an exercise buddy that you agree to meet at certain days and times.
- Leave your workout clothes and shoes out – ready to go.
- Establish a fitness measurement and set some goals. It may be a strength measurement (how many pushups you can do, even if from the knees) or an aerobic (cardio) measurement (how long it takes you to walk or run 1 km). Every time you exercise, ask your body to do just a little bit more. Aim for a PB (Personal Best).
Exercise Can Change Your Focus and Be the Best EMS
We can all remember being “forced” to do some exercise but then, after doing the exercise, actually feeling good and grateful.
The EMS effect from exercise is made even more powerful if you do it with company.
As the NIKE slogan says “Just Do It”.