Where did Healthy Inspirations come from?
The Healthy Inspirations system was initially developed in the USA in 2001 to fill the gap between the fitness and diet industries with a fully integrated program. In 2006 became an Australian-owned brand operating in Australia and New Zealand. This enabled it to steer a course that best suits the local lifestyle and trading conditions.
When did Healthy Inspirations start?
The first centre opened in Queensland in 2001. A team of technical experts, including three leading Australian dietitians advised on the program to suit local tastes and foods commonly available in all major Australian and New Zealand supermarkets.
Where are territories available? Anywhere near me?
We've identified a number of rural cities, larger towns and suburbs that may be ideal for a Healthy Inspirations centre. If your area is not listed, contact us. See the map at the bottom of the page - click HERE.
What's the difference between Healthy Inspirations and women's fitness franchises?
Most fitness franchises only offer a fitness facility and, at best, some pass out a standard one-size-fits all diet sheet. Many of their members want weight loss but very few achieve it with exercise alone.
There are more and more studies coming out that make it clear that exercise alone (without a well-formulated and personalised dietary plan and diet support/accountability) fails to bring about weight loss - leading to drop out. Healthy Inspirations offers a proven weight loss program that includes exercise as one of its key ingredients.
What's the difference between Healthy Inspirations and weight loss franchises?
Healthy Inspirations delivers weight loss but includes a supervised resistance exercise program done in the centre. This helps the weight loss become sustainable. With many weight loss programs clients's metabolism drops as they lose weight. With Healthy Inspirations, the ongoing resistance training program works to maintain and build their metabolism and prevent weight regain. The whole program is integrated and under one roof.
Our goal is to help women sustain their weight loss. This also leads to long term member retention.
What's unique about the Healthy Inspirations approach to weight loss?
Healthy Inspirations is the only commercial weight loss program based upon individual carbohydrate tolerance. The systemised step-by-step coaching process helps each member learn their body's individual carbohydrate tolerance and what that means in portion sizes of healthy fresh foods that they and their families like. This way they lose weight WITHOUT hunger and learn how to maintain their weight loss in a healthy sustainable way.
Who is the market (the typical customers) for a Healthy Inspirations centre?
All members are female, ranging from teenagers to women in their eighties, wanting to lose weight and learn how to manage their weight and optimise their health. Most members are aged between 35 and 65 and come from mid socio-economic backgrounds. Most members have already tried multiple diets (including meal replacement shakes), and gyms with limited or no weight loss success.
Why only females?
The irony is that while there are more overweight men than women, women are far more willing to enrol in a weight loss program and pay for a solution. Plus, many women are more comfortable in a non-intimidating, female-only environment. Although it is certainly not the case in every family, many women are responsible for the planning, shopping and cooking of meals, placing them in the best position to influence the health and eating habits of the entire family. While Healthy Inspirations helps women, these women are then able to better help their families.
How much does it cost to open a centre?
There are some fixed and some variable costs to open a centre. The total varies between $130,000 and $189,000 (ex GST) depending on the site. Details are provided in the Franchise Information Booklet and Disclosure Document.
- The fixed costs are the initial franchise fee, the exercise equipment, audio-visual equipment, fixtures, fittings and signage. The exercise equipment is relatively low cost and this is usually financed with lease finance by the franchisee's own bank or the supplier. The franchise fee includes:
- use of the brand
- pre-defined territory
- site selection assistance
- site design assistance
- franchisee and staff training
- staff recruitment guidelines and HR documents
- pre-launch marketing assistance
- centre's web page to capture leads for their centre
- soft-launch on-site operations assistance
- The variable setup costs are mainly for construction and fitout. Costs depend on each individual site, and include site size, how much work is required, and any contribution from the landlord. There is a standard interior and furniture specification. The launch marketing program is designed to get the business to break even as quickly as possible.
Do I get an exclusive territory?
Yes. We clearly define the territory boundaries for each centre to ensure that there is an adequate population for the centre. Ideally each territory should have a population of at least 15,000 people.
What makes for a good site?
- Population - ideally more than 15,000 within 15 minute drive of the site
- Demographics - enough mid/upper socio-economic women who have a weight problem that they wish to resolve
- Accessibility - easy car access at peak times: early morning, mid-morning and early evenings
- Air conditioned and carpeted.
- Space - 120 to 200 square metres.
- Affordable rent - Healthy Inspirations business planning will help the franchisees consider rent versus other factors in their business planning.
- Visibility - Higher visibility can save marketing costs but increase rental costs.
- Nearby complimentary businesses - coffee shops, clothing, supermarket, hairdressers and beauty salons.
- Help! Healthy Inspirations provides a Site Selection document to help prospective franchisees objectively rate sites on offer.
- Site visits - it can be a worthy investment to actually visit some existing Healthy Inspirations centres and discuss the pros and cons of their individual sites. When you enquire, we'll provide a list of franchisees you can contact.
What is the royalty and what does it include?
The royalty is 9.5%. The royalty gives you access to the intellectual property, on-going support and comprehensive evergreen and monthly marketing programs that each franchisee can tailor to their local market. It includes the online training and communications platform for the franchisee and all their team members (current and future).
There is no marketing levy as the franchisee is in control of their own local area marketing. They set and control their own marketing budget in their territory.
The royalty applies to all turnover but not the retail turnover of the unique products supplied to the franchisee from the franchisor. The royalty does not apply to personal training.
Who controls the local area marketing?
The franchisor creates the local area and online marketing campaigns and resources for all franchisees. Each franchisee fully controls and pays for their own local media mix, so they can respond to their competitive market situation and local media opportunities. The franchisor also provides a suite of 'evergreen' low-cost community-outreach marketing tools for the franchisee to implement locally.
How many staff do I need?
In the beginning, the staff comprise of the franchisee, another full time person and 1 to 3 part time women.
What training is provided?
There are five training delivery processes:
- Franchise Mastery Program - this a comprehensive program run in the Brisbane support office.
- Online training - training modules are delivered via our online eLearning training and communication platform called The HEART. Franchisees have specific access to marketing and business modules and resources. They also have control and can monitor the online training of their team members in topics like sales, service and weight loss coaching. The eLearning platform allows self-paced learning. The platform is constantly being updated with new resources.
- Onsite launch training - during the centre's launch week, one of the support team will be in the centre for 3 days to ensure that all systems are firing, and to add additional training.
- On-the-job training - there is a complete package of on-the-job training materials to help a franchisee train new staff that join after the centre is open.
- Ongoing Induction Training - franchisees have weekly phone meetings with the Business Development Manager for the first 23 weeks.
What on-going support is offered?
The franchisee and their team have access to unlimited phone support, online franchisee networking forum, online training, online business benchmarking, webinars, and franchisee conferences.
Every franchisee provides key (financial and non-financial) performance numbers each week. Each week, franchisees receive a comprehensive report showing every centre's key numbers and details of what the leading franchisees did that week to achieve those results. This keeps every franchisee well-informed on a timely basis.
The franchisee continues to have a short weekly calls with their Business Development Manager.
Can I set up the centre as 24/7?
Yes, this can increase member value and decrease staff and owner hours.
Is my income restricted to membership?
No. The strength of the integrated weight loss program is that it provides what the customer wants (results) and provides the franchisee with multiple revenue streams from:
- initial membership payments
- joining fees
- direct debit membership fees
- profit from the sale of supplementary weight loss products and services
- additional specialists fitness programs like: personal training, small group training, yoga, pilates, barre etc... where the franchisee or their staff, or contractors provide these specific services
This means that the business does not need large volumes of members in order to have a viable business.
Can I offer personal training?
Yes. The franchisee can offer personal training. We provide the franchisee with pre-written agreements for both employee personal trainers and tenant (self-employed) personal trainers (AKA "contractors").
The key is that they embrace and enhance the Healthy Inspirations weight loss program with their specialist exercise knowledge so that your members only hear one weight loss message.
What are the products that are sold at Healthy Inspirations centres?
Our focus is helping members lose weight without hunger. All our meal plans are based upon fresh whole foods available in any supermarket. However we have learnt that between-meal protein supplementation can help members in a number of ways:
- stabilises blood sugar, especially in problem times like mid-morning and mid-afternoon
- prevents hunger - the enemy of sustained weight loss
- helps members maintain good protein status
- helps members who have a habit of snacking, that provides an affordable small dose of quality protein in a convenient tasty snack.
- helps members stay within the carbohydrate limits of their specific food plan. Many snacks, including commonly-available protein bars and shakes have too much carbohydrate.
The protein snack products sold are all approved by our dietitian to support the member's weight loss journey - with specific products at specific stages. The franchisees buy them in bulk and sell them to members in bulk.
This is good for the franchisee's business and makes the products very affordable for the member. These specialist products provide a range of Healthy Inspirations branded, and exclusive products. They can also be used as healthy snacks for the member's family.
Can we do distance weight loss coaching?
Yes, you can have weight loss clients anywhere in the world, but not clients that live in another franchisee's territory. (Read more here>>)
Tell me about the extra income opportunities from having satellite locations.
Some franchisees operate 'satellite' coaching-only locations in nearby locations one day per week. This can be extended (subject to conditions) outside the territory. (Read more here>>)
Can I sell my business?
Yes, to a purchaser approved by the franchisor. This is subject to a transfer fee, that is described in the franchise agreement and transfer agreements. The approved purchaser does not have to pay a new franchise fee.
Can I open more than one centre?
This is possible, but only after successfully running one centre for a full year, and subject to franchisor approval.
Each new centre has its own protected territory and is covered by a separate franchise agreement, so it becomes a saleable business entity for the franchisee.
Franchisees can apply to open additional centres within their territory or in territories that are not yet assigned.
How long is the franchise term and what happens at the end of the term?
The franchise term is 5 years and there are two 5 year options. There is no renewal fee payable at the end of each term. If the lease of the premises is different (say 3 + 3 + 3), then it is possible to request the franchise agreement to be in alignment with the property lease.
Can I talk with other franchisees?
Yes. We provide a list of all franchisees with their contact details. The only request we make is that you contact them in advance to set a convenient time to talk to them, as they are running their businesses. Please do not just drop in or mystery shop them, as they will be your future allies in business, so it is good to start the relationship on a professional footing.
OK. I think I'm interested to find out more. What do I do now?
Complete our enquiry form or call the Healthy Inspirations Australian and New Zealand support office on 07 3177 0842 (Australia) or +61 7 3177 0842 (New Zealand), or call Jamie Hayes direct on 0418 281 126.
*Disclaimer: As each person is different, individual results cannot be guaranteed.