Here’s a healthy alternative to salt and pepper calamari – and it’s much healthier. Enjoy as a main with a big salad, or serve with toothpicks as an appetiser. Serves 2 (main meal)
1 medium red capsicum, cored and deseeded
250g calamari tubes
2 Tbsp oil
to taste salt and pepper
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 lemon, juice
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut the capsicum into three or four pieces and lay skin-side up on a baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until skin starts to blister. Remove and place in a bowl, cover tightly with foil or cling wrap, and leave to sweat the skins off.
- Rinse and dry the calamari. Cut each tube open so it can lie flat. Add the oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Combine the shallots and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat a BBQ grill or ridged frypan to high. Lay the calamari on the grill and cook for 20-30 seconds on each side.
- Slice the calamari and capsicum, and add to a bowl with lemon juice and olive oil. Toss in the shallot mix, salt and pepper and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings or lemon juice.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley and a large salad.