Sounds like a Dr Seuss story, but tastes more like a 5-star chef meal. Serves 12
1 medium onion
1 cup packed coriander leaves and stems
1 1/4 cups packed basil leaves
1/4 cup packed mint leaves
4 Tbsp fish sauce
3 cloves garlic
1 lime, zest
to taste, freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp apple juice
to taste, salt
12 large chicken drumsticks or thighs
3 limes, cut into wedges
- To make the marinade, combine the onion, coriander, basil, mint, fish sauce, garlic, lime zest, black pepper and apple juice into a blender and puree until smooth. Taste and season.
- Place the chicken in a large zip-lock bag and pour the marinade in. Rub the marinade into the chicken to cover. Refrigerate for at least one hour, but preferably overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge an hour before needed, and discard the remaining sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the chicken, skin-side down, on a wire rack. Place in the oven and reduce heat to 150°C. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the chicken and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve with lime wedges and a green salad.