Reset: Suits all phases
Great Shape: 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 1 dairy
- 500g minced beef
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 800g can whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Handful fresh basil (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. In a large bowl mix together the minced beef, oregano, and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Divide the beef mixture and form 16 meatballs.
- Brown the meatballs in a little olive oil over a medium heat for around 5 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Reserve 1 Tbsp of the cooking juices in the pan and add the tomatoes, onion, garlic and tomato paste. Break down the tomatoes into small chunks and mix the sauce well. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Arrange the meatballs in a baking dish and top with the tomato sauce. Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the top of the dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for around 5 more minutes, until the cheese has browned.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve with a salad or sautéed leafy greens.