6 bacon eyes, finely diced
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried sage or 2 tsp fresh sage, chopped
1 tsp ground paprika
salt and pepper to taste
500g minced lamb
1 egg, whisked
4 cups freshly diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp basil, finely chopped
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180°C. In a medium sized pan on medium/high heat fry onion and bacon in oil for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add the sage, paprika, salt and pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled bacon mixture, egg and minced lamb and mix well.
- Roll the lamb mixture into 18 balls and place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- To make the sauce, place diced tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper in a medium sized pan and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the cooked meatballs and simmer gently for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with steamed green veggies.