Suits Phases 1 – 4
- 6 chicken Maryland or 1.5 kg chicken (butterflied)
- 1-2 lemons, juice & zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 onions
- Olive oil
- 1 medium cucumber, grated then squeezed to drain
- 200g full fat sour cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 handful fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir together.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and spoon the tzatziki sauce over the chicken. Add zest and juice of lemon(s) and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and marinate for 2+ hours in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Peel the onions and quarter. Place onion on the bottom of a large baking pan and add the chicken skin-side-up. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes. Chicken skin should be golden brown, and meat falls easily from the bone.
Serve with steamed greens or salad.
Replace onions with 2 cups of chopped zucchini, cabbage, cauliflower, or Brussel sprouts.
In a hurry? Use a pre-made full-fat sauce.
Substitute Greek yoghurt for sour cream for Plans 2 – 4.
Love lemon? Use 2 lemons.