Can I Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight?
Do you have friends who can drink wine and stay slim, but you can’t? While there’s no miracle solution, would you like to be able to find the balance that’s right for you?
As the ethanol in alcohol is a carbohydrate it plays a role in weight loss. We all differ in how much carbohydrate our bodies can tolerate before fat burning stops and fat storage starts. Some people can tolerance 300g a day while for others it may only be 30g.
For many people, their body’s carb tolerance also declines each year.
If you exceed your body’s daily carbohydrate tolerance, three things happen:
- You’ll switch your body into fat storage making weight loss difficult.
- You won’t be able to access your body’s stored fat for energy to lose weight.
- You decrease your ability to enjoy wine and control your weight.
We call alcohol a “super carb” because it is burnt up preferentially over all other food and drink sources. Unless you spend all night on the dance floor then any excess energy from foods and drinks will mostly go to fat storage.
Our association with alcohol may also be working against our weight loss results. Consider these scenarios. How many do you say yes to?
- I enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day.
- I sometimes have a glass when preparing the evening meal.
- I find myself having a glass of wine, or two, most nights of the week.
- I don’t measure my wine servings.
- Other people influence if, when, and how many glasses I drink.
- I do not have scheduled alcohol-free days I stick to.
We’re not saying you can’t drink alcohol but be aware of triggers.
An unhealthy dependence on alcohol affects us in many ways:
* Self-medicating against negative feelings or stress.
* Not balancing hydration with alcohol intake.
* Low quality sleep can cause snoring and hormonal disruption.
* Increased appetite for sugar-laden foods and drinks.
* Reduced energy levels.
* Robs us of dietary control.
So, what’s the good news?
- Follow a low carb eating plan.
- Keep hydrated – summer, winter, spring and autumn.
- Exercise or move daily – mix up cardio and strength.
- Eat your leafy greens and protein before you drink.
- If you have a night out – make sure to include some time on the dance floor.
Our ICT Reset program helps you discover your carb tolerance and how to manage alcohol as part of your weight loss, weight management and healthy lifestyle.
Fill out the form below if you are interested to learn more.