Suits all phases – Serves 8
2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more to brush loaf pan (30 ml)
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
250g button mushrooms, very finely chopped (use a food processor)
1 cup passata sauce, plus extra to serve
2 eggs, whisked
2 tsp dried oregano, plus extra to serve
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil, plus extra to serve
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 kg minced beef
2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Brush a loaf pan with olive oil.
- Over a medium heat, warm the olive oil in a fry pan and saute the onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Toss the mushrooms, through & warm.
- Add the passata sauce, eggs, oregano, basil and mix through.
- In a large bowl add the minced beef & sprinkle with salt & pepper. Add the contents from the fry pan to the bowl & mix together with your hands.
- Place the mixture into a baking dish and place on a tray. Top with the grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until firm to touch and pulled away from the side of the pan, around 60+ minutes. Remove from the oven and rest for 15 minutes.
Serve with a salad, steamed or roast vegetables of choice.