It’s quite amazing how the cauliflower rice can fool the family – they see the rice and don’t question it! This tastes fabulous and is a very low-carb version of risotto that it typically very high-carb. Serves 4
2 heads cauliflower, cut into small chunks
4-6 rashers bacon, chopped
1 large spring onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
350g mushrooms, sliced thinly
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup grated parmesan
for garnish, finely chopped Italian parsley
- Put the cauliflower into a food processor in batches, and process until the cauliflower has the consistency of rice. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spring onion, celery and garlic. If the bacon hasn’t released enough fat, add a little bit of olive oil or butter to the pot. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes more. Again, if the pot seems dry, add more olive oil or butter. Season the mushrooms lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add 8 cups of cauliflower rice, saving any extra for another meal.
- Add the chicken stock. Put a lid on the pot and cook the cauliflower for 5-7 minutes until tender but not mushy.
- Serve topped with parmesan and parsley.