Suits all phases
- 1 (400g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 5 Italian sausage
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- 300g fresh mushrooms, washed and cut into thick slices
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 15 slices pepperoni, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Grease a 20cm x 30cm glass casserole dish with olive oil.
- Pour the diced tomatoes into a colander and rinse with cold water. Let tomatoes drain a minute or two, then spread them out on paper towels to dry.
- While tomatoes dry, heat 2 tsp olive oil in a large fry pan, squeeze the sausage out of the casing, and cook sausage over medium-high heat until it’s nicely browned, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Make a layer of sausage in the bottom of the casserole dish and top with the drained tomatoes, spreading them out over the top of the sausage. Season with dried oregano, salt, and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Wipe the fry pan, then heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring a few times, until the mushrooms are starting to brown. Layer the mushrooms over the sausage-tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the top of the casserole and cover with pepperoni. Bake about 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.