Suits all phases – Serves 10
2 large red onions, cut in thin wedges
1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and halved
200 ml dry red wine
100 ml olive oil
2 Tbsp crushed coriander seeds
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp cinnamon
1½ kg pork shoulder
1 Tbsp salt
- Place a large freezer bag inside a larger freezer bag, and add half the onion and garlic. Reserve the remainder of the onion and garlic for later.
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade and add to the bag.
- Dry the pork well, and rub it with salt. Place in the bag with the onions and marinade. Press out all air from the bag, seal, and place it in a bowl in the fridge for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 125°C. Place the meat, the rest of the onion mix and the marinade in a casserole dish. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, and place in the lower part of the oven for about 5 to 6 hours. Alternatively, use a slow cooker for 8 hours on low.
- To serve, pull the meat apart with two forks and mix it thoroughly with the gravy. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with vegies, salad, or as a lettuce ‘burger’.