Great Shape – protein
Reset – suits all phases
1 bunch of fresh rosemary
1 bulb of garlic
2 tsp English mustard
2 kg lamb shoulder, bone in
6 red onions, peeled and thickly sliced
4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Pound most of the rosemary leaves with a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar. Add 2 cloves of garlic and pound again. Add the mustard and 2 Tbsp olive oil and mix well.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the lamb all over. Season with black pepper, then rub the rosemary mixture all over the lamb, ensuing it gets into all cuts.
- Place the onions in a large deep roasting tray with the remaining rosemary and unpeeled garlic cloves. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and add 200ml cold water.
- Place the lamb shoulder on top and roast for 20 minutes.
- Cover the lamb tightly with a double layer of foil, then return to the oven, reduce the heat to 160ºC, and cook for 4 hours.
- Remove the lamb, cover loosely with the foil and rest for about 10 minutes.
- Shred the lamb. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins, and add to the lamb along with the onion. Serve with a fresh salad or steamed seasonal greens.