½ protein | 1 vegetable
5 cups water
1 large garlic bulb, separated into unpeeled cloves
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
5-6 parsley stems
1 Tbsp oil
500 g scallops
1 Fresh ground black pepper
Few Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Combine water, garlic, celery, carrot, onion, peppercorns, and parsley stems in a saucepan with a good pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30-45 mins.
- Strain the stock into a clean saucepan. Taste and adjust the seasoning, and keep hot.
- Slice scallops in half crossways to form 2 thinner rounds from each. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the scallops on one side for 1-2 mins until lightly browned and the flesh becomes opaque.
- Divide the scallops between 4 warm shallow bowls, arranging them browned-side up. Ladle the soup over the scallops and then float a few coriander leaves on top. Serve at once.