This would be a favourite for most families, even without the pasta. Sneak in some extra vegies, grated if needed, to trick the kids. Serves 8
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 kg beef mince
2 heaped Tbsp tomato paste
2 (400g) cans diced tomatoes
1 tsp cinnamon
4 bay leaves
to taste salt and pepper
1 tsp dried chilli (optional)
1/2 capsicum (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large frypan, add the onion and cook gently until translucent. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds, then add the mince. Stir until the mince is lightly browned, breaking up the lumps.
- Mix in the tomato paste and then the canned tomatoes. Add the cinnamon, bay leaves, salt and pepper, chilli and capsicum and stir well. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 3/4 hour to thicken the sauce.
- Serving suggestion: ‘Spaghetti’. Pour over zucchini strips, spaghetti squash, or steamed cauliflower.
- Serving suggestion: Stuffed vegetables. Hollow out tomatoes, mushrooms or capsicums and fill with bolognaise sauce. Bake until the vegetable is cooked through.
- Serving suggestion: ‘Lasagne’. Layer the sauce with grilled eggplant or cabbage leaves, top with ricotta and parmesan, and bake until golden.