½ red onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 Pinch chilli flakes
2 cups tomato juice (unsweetened)
½ cup gluten-free vegetable (or chicken) stock
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1.5kg tomatoes, halved
3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Scatter the onion, garlic, herbs, fennel seeds and chilli flakes in a deep roasting pan.
- Combine the tomato juice, stock, oil and red wine vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the tomatoes, cut side down, on the onion and herb mixture and pour over the tomato juice mixture. Roast for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and use tongs to remove as much of the tomato skins as possible.
- Transfer to a saucepan and blend using a stick mixer. Heat through and add the balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Serve.