Suits phase 2 onwards – Serves 8
1 kg flank or skirt steak
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
2 large handfuls baby spinach leaves
1 red capsicum, cut into thin strips
2 carrots, cut into thin sticks
2 boiled eggs, sliced
1/2 cup pitted green olives
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Halve the thickness of the meat by slicing horizontally through it, leaving one end connected and opening the meat out. Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic, cumin and oregano on one side of the meat.
- Leaving a border of 2.5 – 5 cm on the top and bottom, evenly layer the spinach leaves, capsicum, carrot, eggs and olives in the middle of the meat.
- Roll up the meat along the long side to form a tight roll with the vegetables, egg and olives inside. Tie the roll securely with kitchen string. Season with salt and pepper.
- In an ovenproof fry pan, heat a drizzle of oil and sear the rolled meat on all sides until it’s nicely browned.
- Transfer to the oven and roast uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest until cooled. Transfer to a refrigerator to cool completely before slicing.