Suits all phases – Serves 4
4 large calamari, with tentacles
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, chopped
150g kale, washed and chopped
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
400g tomato puree
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Separate the calamari tentacles from the bodies. Finely chop the tentacles, and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat and sauté the garlic and onions until the onion is softened.
- Add the capsicum and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Add the chopped tentacles and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the kale and cook, stirring frequently, until the kale has softened; then remove the mixture from the heat.
- Fill up each calamari with an equal amount of the filling, and close them up with toothpicks.
- Heat another Tbsp olive oil over a medium-high heat in the same fry pan. Add the stuffed calamari to the skillet and brown all sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, add the stuffed calamari, cover and cook for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve with a salad or steamed vegies.