When we think of Christmas we often think of spending time with family and friends and indulging in delicious food, but for those who struggle with weight this could also be one of the most stressful times of year. However, there are simple ways to avoid gaining extra kilos over Christmas and having realistic expectations about your weight is important.
Firstly, aim to maintain your current weight rather than focus on losing it. If you’ve lost weight this year and don’t want to see your good efforts go down the drain, so any positive steps you take will make a difference.
Follow these simple tips for managing your weight without cutting back on fun during the festive season:
- Eat first, then party. Have a healthy snack about an hour before you go out. This way you won’t arrive hungry and head straight for the table of food.
- Don’t torture yourself by sitting or standing next to the food table.
- Plan your menus and only buy and prepare as much as you need.
- If you are the entertainer, tell your guests there’s no need to bring food because you have it covered.
- Ask people not to give you food as gifts, especially chocolates, lollies and nuts.
- Don’t finish your plate. Wasting a bit of food is far better than increasing your waist.
- Put away jars of nuts and lollies so they are out of sight.
- Only fill your own glass when it’s empty, otherwise you can lose count of top-ups.
- Give leftovers to guests when they leave or put them in the freezer immediately.
- Chew your food slowly so you feel more satisfied and less bloated afterwards.
Christmas sets up social challenges by creating environmental stress and encourages situational eating, but social activities can be enjoyed while staying on track by following these simple strategies.
Healthy Inspirations has the weight loss solution that has helped over 9,000 women lose over 150,000 kilos. It’s the only women’s weight loss centre that incorporates a realistic diet plan, fun exercise, and one-on-one coaching to help you achieve the results you want.
So if you feel you need a little help avoiding holiday weight gain, just call Healthy Inspirations or drop into your nearest centre. Now is the time to start!